Didn’t know that this recipe is so good. It is easy and simple to make but the result is awesome. The pumpkin buns with red bean paste filling looks good and it is also good to eat immediately. It is soft and fluffy, not too sweet. Great to have for breakfast or tea time with hot Chinese tea.
Advisable to steamed for 5-10 minutes over high heat before serving if eating the next day.
160 gm steamed pumpkin puree
3 gm yeast
1 small egg
20 gm caster sugar
280 gm low protein flour or plain flour
100 gm red bean paste [store bought]
- Peel the pumpkin skin, cut into big pieces, scrape off the seeds, sliced about 160 grams pumpkin and steamed for 15 minutes. Drain off excess liquid, mesh the steamed pumpkin while hot.
- Add in 20 grams of sugar, stir to dissolve. Continue to stir, then add in 1 egg when cool to room temperature. Keep stirring before adding 3 grams yeast.
- Continue stirring until yeast dissolves. Then gradually add in 280 grams plain flour [can use pau flour or low protein flour]. Stir into a rough dough, then knead with hands into a smooth dough.
- Add 20 gm corn margarine, continue to knead it again until dough is soft, smooth and pliable. Roll into a ball, then divide into 9 equal portions then roll into small balls.
- Roll each into a circle, wrap with some red bean paste [1/2 tbsp], seal well and roll into a smooth ball. Place on a greased 7 inch cake tin [I used a loose bottom tin] as shown in the picture.
- Cover with cling wrap to proof until double in size. Lightly glaze with beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle toasted white and black sesame seeds.
- Steamed over high heat for 30-35 minutes. Off heat, leave in steamer for 5 minutes before removing.
- Invert to remove bun from mould, Serve with a hot beverage.