This vegetarian fried noodles is easy to prepare yet awesome. With the addition of crushed vegetarian ‘salted fish’ [kiam hoo] makes it even more appetising. You would not miss meat but will love this meatless noodles.
The sweetness comes from the cabbages and carrot. Great to serve it with cut small red chillies and lime juice, it is really yummy.
The crispy golden flakes on top the noodles are vegetarian salted fish [kiam hoo] which is made from foo peh [beancurd sheets]. Ready made ones are available in most vegetarian food ingredients stores.
|Fried Vegetarian Salted Fish|
150 gm rice vermicelli [beehoon]
6 dried mushrooms – soaked and cut strips
1/2 bowl of soaked black fungus [bok nee] – cut strips
100 gm red carrot – peeled and shredded
150 gm cabbage – cut strips
1 stalk Chinese celery – cut small sections
1 tbsp chopped ginger
some fried vegetarian salted fish [kiam hoo] – crushed
2 tbsp cooking oil
cut small red chillies mix with some lime juice
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp mushroom stock granules
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sesame seed oil
- Bring water to boil in a wok, blanched beehoon for several minutes until soft [about 1 minute]. Drain in a colander. Set aside.
- Using a clean wok, fry mushrooms and ginger in oil until aromatic. Add in cabbage, carrots and black fungus. Stir fry to mix, add in seasoning [except light and dark soy sauce and sesame oil]. Stir to mix well, add in some water.
- Place blanched beehoon in wok, add in remaining seasoning. Toss ingredients well and fry until water is almost dry.
- Lastly, add in celery. Mix and dish up on serving platter.
- Sprinkle crushed vegetarian kiam hoo over noodles. Serve with cut chillies.