This is a vegetarian fried rice with Sichuan Vegetables ‘Zai Choy’ and other ingredients [carrots, cucumber or zucchini, fresh Ernygii mushrooms].
When I first came across this recipe [I think from you-tube video], I was quite skeptical that this could be a tasty fried rice. Out of curiosity, I went ahead to try. It surprises me, turns out to be nice with a mix of savoury and sweet taste. Crunchy diced zucchini and Sichuan vegetables, sweetness from the fresh mushrooms and fragrance of the ginger and sesame seed oil could be reason for this tasty fried rice.
3 bowls cooked white rice [left overnight]
100 gm carrots – peeled and cut small cubes
100 gm Sichuan vegetable [zai choy] – cut small cubes and rinsed several times [do not soak]
100 gm zucchini – cut small cubes
2 stems Ernygii mushrooms – cut small cubes
1 tbsp chopped ginger
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp mushroom stock granules
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sesame seed oil
some dark soy sauce [optional]
- Dry fry fresh mushrooms in a non stick wok until aromatic. Add in cooking oil together with ginger. Stir fry until aromatic.
- Add in Sichuan vegetables and carrots. Stir fry to mix well.
- Add in the rice, stir fry over medium heat to mix well all the ingredients. Then add in seasoning [except sesame oil]. Taste to fine tune the seasoning.
- Lastly add in the zucchini, continue to fry until the rice grains are light. Drizzle in sesame seed oil before dishing up to serve.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves or Chinese celery [kin chye]. Serve with cut chillies for extra ‘oomph’.