The chicken is marinated well with salt, pepper and cooking wine, while the sauce is sweet and sour without other savoury seasoning. Good combination.
I have used deboned chicken thighs to prepare this dish instead of chicken breast meat as I prefer to pan fry them which does not need oil when fried in a non stick pan. Oh, I have missed out some pictures on the sauce.
Feel free to visit Lim’s Kitchen website for the original recipe.
3 pieces deboned chicken thighs – makes slits to flatten them
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 egg yolk [I omit]
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 onion – peeled and cut wedges
1 tomato – cut wedges
1/2 red capsicum – seeded and cut wedges [optional]
3-4 dried chillies – soaked and cut sections
Ingredients For Sweet Sour Sauce [combined]
2-3 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
10 tbsp water [120 ml water]
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, wine and cornstarch. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick wok without oil, pan fry the chicken pieces [skin side first] over medium high heat until golden brown and crispy. Flip over to fry the meat side until cooked and golden in colour.
- Dish up fried chicken to a plate. Remove excess oil.
- Using the same wok, fry onions, tomatoes, capsicum for 1 to 2 minutes, then add in the dried chillies. Continue to fry, then pour in the combined sauce ingredients. Cook over medium low heat until sauce thicken.
- Arrange fried chicken slices over a plate of rice. Scoop enough sauce over chicken. Serve with some sliced cucumbers.